Melton’s original school was the State-subsidised Combined Denomination School, which was opened on 17th May 1858, with an attendance of about 30 children.
In 1863, when Melton was a staging post for Cobb & Co. coaches, the school was declared a Common School and received its number, 430.
In 1870, after twelve years on the creek flat, the school was transferred to the present site, where the pupils were accommodated in a single blue stone building. In 1877 a second adjoining blue stone building was built. (These bluestones can still be seen today).
In 1919a house was built for the headmaster, so they could live in the school grounds.